Saturday, August 8, 2009

POST AND REPOST or PAST AND REPAST

This past week has been chocked full of food! I came upon this wine label and thought it would be a perfect design for my blog logo.



Since I didn't paint or design it, I can't claim it ... but I can show it to you!
Mid week our friends, the Pattons, came over from Fort Worth for drinks and then we went out for dinner.







We ended up going to Piccolo Mondo here in Arlington which is one of everyone's favorite places.
Jo Ann is an excellent cook and she and I both love to cook and eat, so the entire evening was spent discussing the new movie coming out, Julie and Julia. We have both used her cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, like our culinary bible so our interest and enthusiasm is mutual.
Julia herself was an amazing woman. She used to come to Longview, Texas to give cooking classes.






Then when she had her TV shows, she ended up collaborating on a show with Jacques Pepin who is best known as a teaching chef. I have had the privilege of studying with him at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs on several different occasions. That was when we were both young and I was thin.


Goes to show you what good French cooking will do for your waistline, but it's worth the sacrifice!



The movie came out yesterday and we plan on seeing it Monday. Our local reviewer, Christopher Kelly, is such a twit! He gave it a low rating where the NY Times loved it and had much more insight about what a movie of this type is all about. If your appetite doesn't go beyond burgers and fries like Kelly's apparently does, it would be hard to appreciate a film such as this one.


As I understand it, Meryl Streep does an excellent job as Julia. Alas, poor Julia has been laid to rest now, and her mixer is gathering cobwebs, but the memory of her delicious cuisine and sense of humor will live forever!

On Friday night we went with our friends, the Bronstad's, to Joe T Garcia's in Fort Worth. It's a place full of memories for us and it was great to share old stories with my closest friend from school.


It would have been lovely to sit in the gardens and eat but it was too blasted hot, so we had a quick drink outside and then headed for the air conditioning.

The enchilada dinner was excellent as usual, but they did serve it up a little too soon. They want to turn those tables over so we felt a little rushed.



and the boys enjoyed visiting over a brew or two while Joanna and I caught up on stories and memories of times gone by.


Today was visit the stadium day and the post below with the slide show really tells it all.
I got to have a chair and "driver" due to my silly back, and it's not a bad way to travel! She was delightful and was our personal your guide.



The Whitebreads went with us,

and we spent about 4 hours there.
As I was taking photographs, this cute little boy kept looking at me and finally he asked me about my camera. Apparently he had not seen a digital camera before, so I showed him some of the images I had taken and then I told him to smile and I took his photograph.



He was as pleased as punch. Just look at that cute little dimple!
One more quick note before I close this entry. Frank has tried to convince me for years that his love of football is the reason he goes to all the games.



However, I happen to know for a fact that THIS is the real reason he goes.

As long as he looks but doesn't touch ..... Go Cowgirls!
XOXO, Pcasso

No comments:

Post a Comment