Monday, March 29, 2010

WELLINGTON, WEDDINGS AND A DOG WASH

There have been a lot of what I consider to be interesting things going on in my life the past couple of weeks.
Franklin and Beth went with the boys to Austin over Spring Break so we had the privilege of babysitting our Granddog, Harry.




When he arrived he was a little "odoriferous" so we decided that he needed a bath. I called every groomer in Arlington as well as several Vets and they could not take him for two weeks, so we decided to bathe him ourselves.



I say we, but it was actually Frank who did the honors. Once his shower was over he looked so cute and smelled SOOO good. There was no way that we could have let him sleep with us when he smelled like a dog!



And speaking of dogs, our Granddaughter's dog had pups and they are the cutest little things. We now have even more Granddogs, but I can't remember their names! Does that make me a bad Grandmother?



We decided to go to Wellington, Kansas last week and visit with Frank's cousins. Wellington is the Wheat Capital of the world.


We had not seen them for several years, so we thought we'd better make the trip while we still could. Some of their children live in the area, so we were able to have a mini reunion.


P.C is Frank's first cousin. We have had so many good times with him and his wife, Elmeree over the years. They lived in Santa Fe for several years so we saw much more of them then as we spend part of our summers there.
Their kids came over when we got there and we had a nice visit and made plans for the next few days.





I had cooked a lot of food at home to take with us so we wouldn't have to eat out all the time. Selections of restaurants are few and far between there as it is a small town. Fast food is one of the specialties of Wellington. I took a Chicken-Spaghetti casserole, Chili cheese grits, Mexican Stew, the ingredients for Huevos Rancheros for breakfast and that wonderful chocolate cobbler.


I had fixed enough food so all of us could share each evening meal.
One of our favorite things to do is play cards, so the whole family would gather together each evening and play "Hand and Foot", and we would play bridge during the day with P.C. and Elmeree.


There were dogs everywhere we went. I keep wondering if this is a sign that we need to get another pet??? Surely not! (However, Scotties are one of our favorite breeds)


One morning while we were there we drove to Oxford, KS to visit with P.C.'s brother-in-law, Jack. It was good for that part of the family to be able to get together. He was married to P.C.'s sister, Holly who passed away.



Jack also had a little dog that we visited with.


We had a wonderful visit with everyone and hated to see our time with them come to an end. However, as a friend of my Mother used to say, "House guests are like fish....after 3 days they start to stink", so we decided that it was time to take our leave before we started smelling like Harry did upon his arrival!
We had planned on getting home in time to attend a wedding in Graham, Texas, but were not able to make it back in time. A friend of mine that I used to paint with was married this past Saturday.



She has been on her own for several years and suddenly love walked into her life again. I'm so happy for both of them and so sorry that we didn't make it to the wedding. She knows that we wish them both well and hope that they have many years together.
I also received a letter from a good friend who lives in Chicago. Her daughter and her husband are in Dubai at the moment having a very exciting adventure. I'm so excited for them to be able to have this wonderful experience.
They had breakfast at the new Meydan race track which will host the Dubai World Cup - the richest horse race in the world (26 million in prize money).
They then took a seaplane tour of the city of Dubai and then were entertained on the King's yacht. Tiny little thing, isn't it!




Prince Andrew of England joined their group for the races. If you look closely, you will be able to see him behind Angela in the photograph below. How exciting for her and also for my friend, her Mother.



She tells me that there is a book out now called "The City of Gold" which is all about Dubai and I plan on reading it.

After church yesterday I came home and decided to paint. I haven't picked up a brush for a long time, but was in the mood. There is an artist whom I really admire, so I decided to paint something in his style. I'm pleased with the end results.


You know how I love wild colors and anything that reminds me of Santa Fe, so this was right up my alley. I hope to paint a companion piece soon.
This is Holy Week so we will be going to church daily. The Palm Sunday service was lovely yesterday and now we will be involved with the Passion of Christ as Easter is just around the corner.
I pray that each of you have a blessed Holy Week and a glorious Easter Sunday.
XOXO, Pcasso

1 comment: