Saturday, April 17, 2010

SPRINGTIME, GLIDERS AND POSOLE

I love this time of year and this weekend has been perfect so far. Spring is in the air and we have gotten busy getting our back patio ready so we can sit outside and enjoy the wonderful weather. This is where we will be spending a lot of our time as long as the temperature allows it.


Frank has been busy putting flowers in all the planters and the yard men have the yard in perfect condition. Yesterday morning he went to Home Depot and purchased a glider for the back deck. I always hated to see my babies grow up because I couldn't rock them any more. He remembered how much I love to rock, so he surprised me with it. (My Grandmother loved to rock as well, so that's probably where this originated)



The biggest surprise was what a chore it was to assemble. He thought he could have it done in about an hour but guess what .... WRONG! After nearly 5 hours of both of us working diligently on it, it was finally assembled and ready for action. This is one of Martha Stewart's products and I was about ready to wipe that smile off of her face before we finally got it put together!


Well, all went well, and after a very busy afternoon, the deck looked wonderful and we were ready for action.






We fixed ourselves a little libation and decided to play cards outside. We have had an on-going gin game for the past several years, so there's always some healthy competition going on.



We have an outdoor speaker for the CD player, but we hadn't hooked it up yet, so I brought out my new toys ... my iPhone and my portable speakers called "Tweakers". I ordered them a couple of weeks ago and they are perfect for listening to Pandora on my iPhone. Pandora is an Internet station that plays wonderful music. Check it out!


They are not only as cute as a bug, they have wonderful sound! I just love electronic gadgets! My Dad and eldest son, Jim did as well. They would have loved to still be living in this era and be able to enjoy all the "gadgets"!
We sat there and looked out over the back yard as the sun went down and it really felt wonderful. A true sence of peace.



I told Frank that I hope that when we move somewhere that is more convenient for us in our "Golden Years", my hope is that the new owners will love this place the way we have during the years that we have been here.
When we finished our card game (I won this time), we went inside, had a bite to eat and then watched TV for a while.
We got up bright and early this morning and had coffee out on the deck. The world was just waking up and the birds were all chattering. We have a family of Cardinals that live in one of our hedges and we love to watch them.
The Papa is the sentinel while Mama and her babies are eating the birdseed that we have provided. The neighbor's roof looks like snow in this photograph.




I have just discovered that the mottled looking Cardinals are the babies and their full color will come as they mature.


Mama does her own thing as the baby is being watched by Papa and a sparrow.



The squirrels are also up to their usual antics. It must be mating season because they are running all over the place, chasing each other and jumping from tree to tree. This one had taken a break and was posing so I could photograph him. They're such hams!



Once we finished our breakfast of pork chops and eggs, I started tonight's dinner (have to keep ahead of the game!)


It had started to drizzle this morning, so it seemed like a perfect day for Posole. For those of you who are not familiar with Posole, it's made with dried hominy, pork, red chili and garlic and it's delicious! I had extra pork chops, so that's why we had them for breakfast. Seemed like a good thing to me!
The Posole is ready now, so here's what it looks like in both the pot and the bowl.





This with either tortillas or sopapillas makes a wonderful meal any time ... especially on a spring evening.
Tomorrow we will go to church where we will have the privilege of serving at God's altar at the early service and then we are going to our friend's house for brunch. I have to do my homework in the afternoon for my Monday book club where we're studying Dante's Purgatory and then I will watch the Tudors tomorrow night. Sounds like the perfect weekend to me. How about you???
XOXO, Pcasso

1 comment:

  1. Loved the spring view around your home. Pat I can't see you alll anywhere but that house. It's truley Pat an Franks......I cxannnnn't see anyone but you all ever living there.Luv ya,Jo

    ReplyDelete