Wednesday, July 21, 2010

BUBBLE BUBBLE, WI-FI TROUBLE!



As soon as we got up this morning Frank went to the Sage Bakery to get some breakfast for us. They have such a huge selection that it is hard to make a decision.


Fortunately I had sent him there with my order already figured out, so I had the pleasure of once again enjoying an almond croissant. In fact, I even heated it and put butter on it! It was absolute heaven!


Today was a fairly slow day, so we watched a little TV in the morning (we both love game shows) and then decided to go to our favorite spot for lunch, Tia Sophia's. In years past we ate there at least 4 times a week, but there are so many good restaurants in Santa Fe that we haven't visited Tia's as often as we used to. In my humble opinion they have the very best enchilada in town.


It never changes. The chili is always exceptional and the atmosphere is very friendly. Not too many tourists eat there as it is literally a little hole in the wall so tourists are a little leery about going inside, but the food by far surpasses the ambiance of the place.
We were unaware that while we were gone to lunch there had been a power outage at the condo and when we got home I had no Internet service! Horror of all horrors ... how can one live without the Internet!


There was my BFF sitting all alone with no way to connect to the world and all my friends. I immediately called the office and after much haggling with Comcast, I found that they could be there in 3 days to fix it. I felt that this was totally unacceptable. At least we still had TV! They did tell us that if we would come by the Comcast office they would give me a new modem to replace the one that had fried. So, early the next morning Frank headed for Comcast which is on the other side of town. He's such a dear to fight that Cerrillos Road traffic just so I could be up and running again. When he got back home, the new modem wouldn't work either so I called Comcast again. It seems that it had to be activated and since I was not the one who opened the account they would not activate it for me. I was HOT! I spent over an hour on hold and finally got hold of someone who said that they would send a technician out the next day to see what we could work out. This is the very reason the we no longer use Comcast. I found that they are not accommodating either at home or in New Mexico! Thank goodness for U-verse!
But wait ... I'm getting way ahead of myself!
After spending a great deal of the afternoon on the phone, we decided that we needed an Asian food fix so we went to Jinja. We had to pass through town on the way to the restaurant, so we took our regular detour and drove around the Plaza and by the Cathedral to see what was going on. There's always lots of activity in downtown Santa Fe ... especially in the summer.



This is a wonderful little Pan Asian bistro is partially owned by Gene Hackman (he's a part time resident in SF)



They seated us in a corner booth and we had a wonderful waitress who took very good care of us. We found out later that this was her first day and she was delightful.


Hackman is also an artist and below is one of his paintings that hangs in the restaurant. The light was very low and all I had with me was my iPhone, so forgive the quality of the shot. I know now that I should NEVER leave the house without my camera!



The food was delicious and we decided to have an assortment of appetizers rather than an entree. We have eaten here several times before so we knew that the portions were more than ample.
We had the Yin Yang Shrimp which was crispy black tiger shrimp dusted in salt and pepper and served with the perfect yin and yang of a sweet, plum ginger sauce and a spicy Vietnamese sauce.

We then chose the tempura which is a classic from Japan, lightly-battered shrimp, broccoli, red pepper, carrot, sweet potato and onion.


Pot Stickers are always a favorite. They are Asian comfort food. They were four pan-seared pork and vegetable dumplings with a tangy Shanghai dipping sauce, and of course, Fried Rice. She brought us 6 at no extra charge since we were sharing. I make these at home when I feel very energetic.



Our good friend, Young Woo, taught me how to make these. He most always cooks for us when we are in Santa Fe. I met him when I was in Egypt 25 years ago and was have been good friends and "chef mates" ever since.



On the way home, we were blessed to be able to witness the most beautiful sunset. The skies in New Mexico are so clean and clear. That's due to the fact that there is no large industry there so there's very little pollution. Also, the residents are very "green" conscious, so that helps as well.



I will hopefully have Internet service in a day or two, so all will be well again :-)
XOXO, Pcasso

No comments:

Post a Comment